This five-movement suite of pieces for SATB was inspired by East Texas locations.
There is roughly a fast-slow-fast-slow-fast sequence to the movements.
1. Hearne Crossing is based on the rail lots in Hearne "the crossroads of Texas". The upper three voices play increasingly far out harmonies over a bass (optionally: great bass) that just keep chugging along.
2. Fayette Sky is a restful movement inspired by an afternoon visiting the "painted churches of Fayette County", under a radiantly blue sky.
3. Burton Gin has all the activity of the cotton gin (engine) in Burton.
4. Crocket Mansion is a very slow movement inspired by the spooky "Mary Ellen seminary" ruin in Crocket.
5. Seventynine Miles is a wild ride along US-79, from Austin to Palestine, where I attended an early music weekend every year in November. Coincidentally, the piece largely alternates 7/8 and 9/8 time signatures.